Interactive food is always fun at a party. Lay out the goods and have everyone build their own appetizer. Putting it together is half the fun.
- Cut each hot dog in half vertically and then in half horizontally so it makes 4 pieces and lay them on a platter.
- Cut the dinner rolls in half, so it's easy for guests to make their sandwiches, and lay them on the platter; as well as the cheeses, basil leaves and roasted peppers.
- Spoon pesto and tapenade into small bowls. Place olive oil in a small bowl with a pasty brush, next to panini maker.
- Encourage guests to create their own appetizer. To do so they could spread some tapenade, pesto or simply a basil leaf on the bottom bun of a dinner roll.
- Top with 2 hot dog pieces, roasted peppers if desired, and some cheese then top bun. Brush outside of top and bottom buns with some oil.
- How to Cook Panini:
In a panini press: Preheat the press. Add your sandwich and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions until golden and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
On the stove: Preheat a non stick skillet to medium low. Add your sandwich, then press a heavy pan on top to weigh it down. Cook until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side.